Design and Plant a Vibrant Autumn BorderFollow our simple how to guide and create an inspirational border full of interest to last through to spring...
DESIGN & PLANT THE PERFECT
AUTUMN GARDEN BORDER
Do you want a garden that looks colourful throughout the autumn and winter seasons, but need a few hints and tips to help along the way? We've made it easy with our step-by-step gardening guide. This planting plan is perfect for shady areas or tricky spots and can easily be scaled up or down to fit your space.
BEFORE YOU PLANT
Skinny beds of just 30-60cm (1-2ft), for example, will only provide space for one or two plants, so when they have stopped flowering, there may be nothing else to look at.
Make a list of the plants you like
You can find lots of inspiration in books or in-store, our plants teams will be happy to guide you. Check when they flower or fruit, and include plants for each season as well as a few evergreens. Also check the plants’ full height sizes: some may look quite small when you buy them in autumn, but will grow to various sizes.
Finally, sketch your garden design plan
On a piece of paper sketch out the shape of the border you want, where you plan to plant each bulb, tree or shrub. The follow our planting guide below...
Now you're ready to follow our simple planting guide...
1. Mark out a border, remove any turf, dig over the soil, and fork in well-rotted manure.
2. Set out plants and dig a large hole for each plant, about twice as wide as the pot and just a little deeper.
3. Tease plants out of the pot, freeing roots a little. Make sure you plant at the same depth as they were in their original pots, back fill with soil.
4. Firm the plants in with your foot to remove air gaps. Then water each plant, soaking the soil.
7. Add a 5cm (2in) layer of bark to help suppress weeds and retain soil moisture.
Now, step back and admire your newly planted border.