Gardening Jobs: DecemberWebbs Grounds team have compiled their list of jobs that will need doing in your garden during the month of December...
WEBBS DECEMBER GARDENING JOB LIST
Although the focus for most people is Christmas time, there are still plenty of things to do in the garden in December. As it is one of the coldest months you will need jobs to do in the garden to keep warm, such as tree pruning or digging projects. As there arent as many jobs to do this month, why not plan ahead for January?...
Webbs Grounds team have compiled their list of the top jobs to do in the garden this month:
- Prune Acers, Vine and Birch trees now so they dont bleed.
- Prevent ponds and water features from freezing over. Pay particular attetion to bird baths...it is an important month for supporting our feathered friends.
- Continue to collect the final falling leaves, and collect for mulch, ready for use as soil conditioner.
- Leaves of Hellebores can be removed to prevent disease being carried through to new leaves.
- Winter pruning on woody shrubs and trees can begin, begin by removing any dead or diseased branches and look out for any that are crossing.
- New roses, trees and shrubs can still be planted providing water isnt waterlogged or frozen.
- Hardwood cuttings can be taken now from plants such as Buddliea, Salix and Cornus.
- Avoid walking on frosty lawns as this can damage the grass. Ensure leaves are cleared off to allow moisture and light to reach the grass underneath.
- Wash off pots and trays ready for the new season, sharpening tools is also a job that will need doing.
- Lastly, enjoy a nice warm drink...take in the savours and hard work from your gardening year and plan ahead for the year ahead - you have earnt it!