Gardening Jobs: OctoberWebbs Grounds team have compiled their list of jobs that will need doing in your garden during the month of October...
WEBBS OCTOBER GARDENING JOB LIST
Autumn has arrived, and with it brings plenty of dropping leaves and early frosts. Although it feels colder, autumn brings with it an array of beautiful colours in the garden with trees changing colour.
Webbs Grounds team have compiled their list of the top jobs to do in the garden this month:
- Begin to cut back perennials as you start to see them die back.
- Prune climbing roses.
- Move tender plants inside to protect from early frosts.
- Swap finished summer bedding displays for autumn/winter ones to inject some more colour for the weeks ahead.
- Evergreen hedges can have their final trim of the year.
- If you are planning to move trees or shrubs, autumn is the time to do it.
- Cut back Buddliea and other shrubs that are hard pruned in the spring, by half to prevent any wind rock.
- If it is dry, water Rhododendrons, Camellias and Azaleas to aid the formation of flower buds. Collect rainwater if possible to water them.
- Collect and store fallen leaves in bags or piles to create leaf mould, it makes a great soil conditioner.
- Turn off any water features and drain down where possible before frost and ice has chance to cause any damage.